1 . Have you notified the following of your change in address?
- Post Office (for mail redirection)
- Financial institutions (and transferred or closed accounts)
- Taxation department
- Leasing company
- Insurance company (and transferred or terminated household insurance)
- Life insurance company
- Car insurance company
- Health insurance company
- School principal (and obtained a letter regarding the status of your children in school)
- Relatives, friends and regular correspondents
- Clubs (and transferred or terminated memberships)
- Doctor and dentist (and obtained copies of your medical records)
- You lawyer
- Your place of workship
2. Have you discontinued these services?
- Telephone / Cable Television
- Newspaper / Publication Delivery
- Internet subscription
- Alarm Company
- Gardener / Lawn Maintenance
3. Have you also?
- Defrosed your refrigerator / freezer and drained all water hoses. (Leave doors open two days prior to packing to release moisture)
- Disconnected your washing machine and drained water
- Checked with manufacturer to ensure all major appliances are correctly prepared for moving
- Emptied / purged all gas cylinders . (First check if they may be shipped into your destination)
- Arranged for electricity or gas companies to disconnect any fittings from the supply
- Disposed of items you don’t wish to take with you.
- Returned books, videos, etc.
- Removed your own fixtures and fittings from walls
- Put important items such as passports and tickets in your personal luggage so they are not accidentally packed
- Arranged for someone to look after your children on the packing days (this can be a stressful time for them)
- Washed thoroughly any items that may be of interest to quarantine (i.e. mowers, garden tools, golf equipment, bicycles, ladders, outdoor toys, plant pots, barbeque, etc.)
- Taken ink cartridges out of printers
- Taken batteries out of remote controls / toys
- Disconnected all electronic items prior to the packers’ arrival
4. Dangerous goods
- The following are classified as „DANGEROUS” goods and can not be stored or transported:
- New or partially used cans of paint
- Turpentine, Kerosene, Petrol
- Cleaning fluids
- Aerosols of any kind
- Chemical sets
5. A few don’ts
- Don’t put breakables in drawers
- Don’t put liquid in drawers (sauce bottles, perfumes, etc.)
- Don’t store perishable foods such as cereals, flours, etc.
- Don’t polish your furniture prior to your move. Polishing surfaces can cause the furniture to condensate when wrapped
- Don’t store or transport jewelry, money, legal documents, taxation papers, insurance policies or other high value / irreplaceable articles (keep these items with you)
- Don’t forget to check your home for any belongings the packing crew may have missed-before they leave
6. The night before
- Pack your suitcases and move them (together with your valuables, passports and tickets) to a safe place, such as a trusted neighbor’s home. This will prevent them from being accidentally packed with your goods
- Put your personal telephone and address book with your carry-on luggage for the flight. You may want to get in touch with people later
- Dispose off all remaining flammables, dangerous or hazardous materials. Throw or give away bottles of nail polish and liquids in glass bottles
- Place keys to house and cars in a safe location
Get a good night’s rest!